Most Americans believe that religious
organizations should bring communities together and contribute to our
quality of life in a pluralistic democracy. But under the cloak of
Christianity, these leaders peddle prejudice -- against gay people,
immigrants, members of other faiths, and working people. Christ said, "In as
much as you have
done unto the least of these my brothers, you have done
Still, they profit handsomely from advocating intolerance and unfairness.
Focus on the Family
Material sales to his own organization: $699,3821
Chairman and CEO,
American Family Association
Total compensation: $106,567 2
American Center for Law & Justice
Salary: $600,000 3
The Claremont Institute
Concerned Women for America
Total compensation: $112,7915
Compensation & expenses: $895,331 4
Illinois Family Institute
Citizens for Community Values
Total compensation: $165,694 9
Christian Broadcasting Network
Net worth: $155,000,000 10
Salary: $120,000 11
Traditional Values Coalition
Total compensation: $72, 512 13
President & CEO
Alliance Defense Fund
Total compensation: $274,593 12
Total compensation: $56,032 14
Scripture passage comes from Matthew 25:40.
1. This figure represents the amount of money spent by Focus
on the Family on materials produced by
James Dobson, 2004 IRS Form 990.
2. 2005 IRS Form 990, American Family Association, Inc.
3. Mauro, Tony, "Jay Sekulow's Golden Ticket," Legal Times, 10/31/2005.
4. 2004 IRS Form 990, American Values. Amount includes $815,979 in unspecified expenses.
5. 2004 IRS Form 990, Concerned Women for America.
6. 2004 IRS Form 990, The Claremont Institute.
7. Earnings cover 2001 to 2003. "Republican Scandal Exposes Scallywags," Indian Country Today, 10/08/2004. Listed earnings do not include his profits from consulting to Enron prior to its collapse.
8. 2004 IRS Form 990, Illinois Family Institute.
9. 2004 IRS Form 990, Citizens for Community Values.
10. Betsch, Michael, "Groups Protest Faith-Based Funds Recipient," CNSNews.com, 10/07/2002. Listed figure is a conservative (low) estimate.
11. Duin, Julia, "Christian Coalition Falls on Lean Days," Washington Times, 10/13/2005.
12. 2004 IRS Form 990, Alliance Defense Fund, Inc.
13. 2004 IRS Form 990, Traditional Values Coalition and 2004 IRS Form 990, Traditional Values Coalition Education and Legal Institute.
14. 2004 IRS Form 990, Exodus International North America, Inc.